Equagold’s Agar Agar Powder is a seaweed product from Germany, and is of extremely high quality.
Agar Agar is a gelatinous substance derived from red algae and has been popular across Asia for centuries. As it is derived from plants, not animals, it is suitable for use by vegetarians and vegans as a substitute for gelatin.
Without taste, odour or colour, agar agar can safely be used in desserts and other cooking without altering the taste or smell. It sets more firmly than gelatin and can even set at room temperature
It has a higher melting point which gives jellies a chewy texture, rather than dissolving in the mouth. It is used commercially to thicken sauces and stabilise sauces like mayonnaise.
Agar Agar powder should be carefully weighed out in precise quantities, as it sets faster than gelatine.
Agar Agar is frequently used in:
- thicken sauces and custards
- aspics and jellies
- used in conjunction with gelatin in fruit jellies such as orange gelee
How to use Agar Agar
- Use 2 tsp of agar flakes to every cup of liquid in a recipe. Like gelatin, it needs to be dissolved in liquid by bringing it to a boil over medium heat and then simmering until thickened, approximately five minutes. Set and chill in refrigerator before use.
- Use 0.9g agar agar powder to 100ml of neutral liquid
- Use 1.3g of agar agar powder to 100ml of acidic liquid
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.