The strikingly sumptuous, deep dark purple fruit with blood red flesh, boasts a soft juicy pulp and is one of the most nutritionally powerful native Australian fruits.
Growing in several varieties, the Davidson Plum was traditionally ‘bush tucker’ for the rainforest Aborigines, who had the fortitude to eat them raw despite the fruit’s sharp acidity. The strikingly sumptuous, deep, dark purple fruit with blood red flesh, boasts a soft juicy pulp and is one of the most nutritionally powerful native Australian fruits. Early settlers certainly would not have appreciated the high levels of antioxidants contained in the fruit, yet picked the plums for use in jams and sauces.
- An excellent source of potassium. Potassium plays a vital role in every single heartbeat. It helps our muscles move, our nerves work and our kidneys filter out toxins.
- A good source of Vitamin E and zinc; two nutrients required for glowing, youthful looking skin.
- A unique dairy-free source of calcium.
- An antioxidant powerhouse, containing high levels of anthocyanin, which is thought to improve cognitive function and protect against certain cancers and heart disease.
- Contains significantly more lutein than an avocado (thought to be the primary source of lutein). Lutein is a carotenoid vitamin that plays an important role in eye health, improving symptoms in atrophic age-related macular degeneration by inhibiting inflammation. Age-related macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss in aging Western societies.
- Contains properties believed to have anti-diabetic effects and a capacity to reduce hypertension and obesity.
Taste and Smell
The Davidson Plum has an earthy aroma, reminiscent of rosella jam and stewed rhubarb with musk and a touch of sweetness. The taste is tart with some astringency and a slight bitterness.
Due to the intense acidic flavour and low sugar content, the Davidson Plum is not often eaten as a fresh fruit. However, the tart and intense fruity flavour lends itself to be used in a range of sweet and savoury dishes, including cakes, jams, sauces, yoghurt and ice-cream.
Research is currently being conducted on the Davidson Plum’s antimicrobial properties, which are thought to act as a natural food preservative.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.