This course is Cake 101 - designed especially for beginners and is a perfect introduction to the world of cake decorating. Our 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' cake design is enchanting and nostaglic .... featuring a very popular suspended rainbow design and introducing a touch of class with the metallic details on our kite as it flies softly towards the sky. Remind yourself of a time and place where bluebirds fly and trouble melts like lemon drops.
You will learn the art of working with fondant and discover the amazing amount of work that goes on under the cake to ensure we get that perfect porcelain finish on top. We show you the techniques and tools and take you hands-on every step of the way.
By the end of the class you will walk away with a fully decorated chocolate mud cake to take home and share with your family and friends. The design has some key areas you can choose to customise making it ideal for celebrations including baby showers, birthdays or 'just because'. Students can choose their own rainbow colour scheme and finish off with their choice of gold, rose gold or silver metallic detail on the kite.
1. Prepare a chocolate mud cake for decorating - torting and trimming
2. Ganache a cake in preparation for covering with fondant - filling and coating, level & sharp
3. Cover a cake in fondant - sharp edges, smooth sides, no elephant skin, no bulges, no creases, no tears.
4. Present your cake like a professional - Cover a board in fondant and use it as part of the decorating landscape for your cake
5. Colouring fondant with gel paste to make custom colours
6. Create two and three dimensional edible decorations to embellish your cake in the nostalgic Over The Rainbow theme
7. Learn some fabulous techniques to creating a 3D rainbow which defies gravity as it floats above the cake on one side
8. Learn to handpaint the rainbow run-off in watercolour
9. Learn how to further highlight your decorations with metallic paint to give a touch of elegance and luxury to your project
A gluten free cake option is available for an additional $5. All tools and materials will be provided, including lunch and course notes. Course runs from 9am and generally finishes around 4pm.
** Please note: our courses are designed for adults, however we understand that many children and teenagers desire to learn the art of cake decorating. The Essentials Level 1 course can be attended by a teenager (12-16 years/high school years 7-10) if they are accompanied by a supervising/assisting adult. The adult is required to assist during those tasks that require a little extra muscle (ie rolling of fondant) and to help with social comfort. One workstation with 2 chairs is provided and 1 cake is created by the teenager (with assistance from the accompany adult). Lunch and refreshments are provided for both participants. The additional $20 fee covers the additional person for catering purposes. Please select "Teenager with Accompanying Adult" in the top part of the booking form under "1. Options". Teenagers over the age of 16 (high school year 11+12) can register for a course as an 'adult' and do not need to be accompanied.