This course is Cake 101 - designed especially for beginners and is a perfect introduction to the world of cake decorating. Our 'Deckled Edge' cake design is modern and edgy .... featuring a deckled edge wrap inspired by Harry & Meghan's royal wedding cake finished off with touch of class with the metallic painted edge. The cake is topped with a modern statement flower - Anthurium Lily - arranged with bamboo, viburnum berries and corkscrew rush all created out of fondant.
You will learn the art of working with fondant and discover the amazing amount of work that goes on under the cake to ensure we get that perfect porcelain finish on top. We show you the techniques and tools and take you hands-on every step of the way. Achieve a stunning deckled (torn) edge effect and learn to create a handcrafted floral posy from fondant and dusted with petal dusts.
By the end of the class you will walk away with a fully decorated chocolate mud cake to take home and share with your family and friends. Students can choose their own colour scheme and finish off with their choice of gold, copper, rose gold or silver metallic detail on the deckled edge (torn edge). In place of the lily, students may opt to create lily leaves instead, if desiring a more masculine look for their cake.
1. Prepare a chocolate mud cake for decorating - torting and trimming
2. Ganache a cake in preparation for covering with fondant - filling and coating, level & sharp
3. Cover a cake in fondant - sharp edges, smooth sides, no elephant skin, no bulges, no creases, no tears.
4. Present your cake like a professional - Cover a board in fondant and finish off like a professional.
5. Colouring fondant with gel paste to make custom colours
6. Achieve a modern look by creating a decorative deckled (torn) edge
7. Create a fondant posy featuring an Anthurium Lily, Bamboo, Corkscrew Rush Grass and a cluster of Viburnum Berries - a modern statement floral piece.
8. Learn how to prepare your posy for insertion into the cake in a food-safe, hygienic way and according to world's best cake practices.
9. Learn how to further highlight your decorations with metallic paint and petal dusts to give a touch of elegance and life to your project
A gluten free cake option is available for an additional $5. All tools and materials will be provided, including lunch, refreshments and course notes. Course runs from 9am and generally finishes around 4pm to 4.30pm. This course is held at our cake decorating classrooms in Boolimba Crescent, Narrabundah.
** Please note: our courses are designed for adults, however we understand that many children and teenagers desire to learn the art of cake decorating. The Essentials Level 1 course can be attended by a teenager (12-16 years/high school years 7-10) if they are accompanied by a supervising/assisting adult. The adult is required to assist during those tasks that require a little extra muscle (ie rolling of fondant) and to help with social comfort. One workstation with 2 chairs is provided and 1 cake is created by the teenager (with assistance from the accompany adult). Lunch and refreshments are provided for both participants. The additional $20 fee covers the additional person for catering purposes. Please select "Teenager with Accompanying Adult" in the top part of the booking form under "1. Options". Teenagers over the age of 16 (high school year 11+12) can register for a course as an 'adult' and do not need to be accompanied.